Sinks, tubs, toilets and the pipes that they’re connected to have a risk of ...
Carbon Monoxide Safety
You can’t see it, taste it or smell it but it can kill quickly and with no warning. Unsafe gas appliances produce a highly poisonous gas called carbon monoxide (CO). It can cause death as well as serious long term health problems such as brain damage. Carbon Monoxide is known as the silent killer as around 30* people die each year from Carbon Monoxide poisoning, and many more are seriously injured.
Why should I get a carbon monoxide alarm?
Only £25.00 + VAT
Because carbon monoxide has no taste, smell or color. Plumbing on Tap & Gas Safe Register strongly recommends you fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm in your home.
While an alarm will alert you to carbon monoxide in your home, it is no substitute for using a Gas Safe registered engineer. A gas safety inspection every 12months will increase the chances of stopping carbon monoxide poisoning in your home and could save lives!
A carbon monoxide alarm looks similar to a smoke alarm and is very easy to fit by following the manufacturer’s instructions.
There are many different products on the market, some very cheap and some very expensive. You can purchase our recommended carbon monoxide alarm for only £25.00 + VAT from us today!
Remember to buy from a trusted company, with us this product comes with a 6-year guarantee with a 7-year life expectancy that’s only £4.20 a year!
Remember the six main symptoms to look out for:
- loss of consciousness
You are particularly at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning while sleeping, as you may not be aware of early carbon monoxide symptoms until it’s too late. Do not use the ‘black spot’ detectors that change colour when carbon monoxide is present. These will not make a sound to wake you up if the poisonous gas is present while you are sleeping.
Being aware of the symptoms could save your life.
Carbon monoxide symptoms are similar to flu, food poisoning, viral infections and simply tiredness. That’s why it’s quite common for people to mistake this very dangerous poisoning for something else.
Other signs that could point to carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Your symptoms only occur when you are at home
- Your symptoms disappear or get better when you leave home and come back when you return
- Others in your household are experiencing symptoms (including your pets) and they appear at a similar time
- What should I do if I experience any symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?
- Get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and leave the house
- See your doctor immediately or go to hospital – let them know that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. They can do a blood or breath test to check
- If you think there is immediate danger, call the Gas Emergency Helpline
- Get a Gas Safe registered engineer to inspect your gas appliances and flues to see if there is a dangerous problem
Don’t assume your gas appliances are safe: get a Gas Safe registered gas engineer to do a check. This is the only safe way to prevent yourself and those around you from incurring serious illness or death due to carbon monoxide exposure.
Product and servicesPrice listLandlords be aware!
What is carbon monoxide poisoning?
Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when you breathe in even small amounts of the gas.When you breathe in carbon monoxide, it gets into your blood stream and prevents your red blood cells from carrying oxygen. Without oxygen, your body tissue and cells die.
Levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to health when breathed in over a long period of time. Long term effects of carbon monoxide poisoning include Paralysis and brain damage. Such long term effects occur because many people are unaware of unsafe gas appliances and subsequent gas leaks.
How do I avoid a carbon monoxide leak in my home?
Your home may show signs of carbon monoxide. Any one of the following could be a sign that there is carbon monoxide in your home. Get your gas appliances checked to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
- The flame on your cooker should be crisp and blue. Lazy yellow or orange flames mean you need to get your cooker checked
- Soot or yellow/brown staining around or on appliances
- Pilot lights that frequently blow out (a popular reason for a boiler break down call outs)
- Increased condensation inside windows
If you have a faulty appliance in your home, it could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Get it checked as soon as possible by one of Plumbing on Taps Gas Safe registered engineers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our gas safety alarm will alert you the moment carbon monoxide is detected in your home. This alarm is simple to use and comes with a 6-year warranty.
However, you should also make plans to have a gas safety engineer check your home periodically for carbon monoxide and gas leakages. This will complement the efforts of the carbon monoxide detector.
Even though carbon monoxide is practically undetectable by normal means, if you smell gas, think that you gas line is leaking, or suspect that carbon monoxide fumes are escaping from any of your gas appliances, don’t take it for granted, take action immediately to protect your life and that of others in the house.
- Once you get a feeling there is a gas leakage, immediately turn off all naked flames and shut down your gas mains. The gas mains tap is usually located close to the gas metre.
- Open the windows and doors to allow in fresh air.
- Don’t smoke, light a match or use any electrical and electronic equipment that can cause a spark.
- If possible, get everyone out of the house.
- Quickly call our Gas Safety Certified Inspectors on 01273 723 600 to come and have a look at your home.
- Follow any advice our Gas Safety specialists give you on phone while you wait.
- Don’t light a flame until your house has been confirmed safe and free of gas.
Carbon monoxide is tasteless, colourless and odourless, because of this, people may not be aware that they are inhaling the gas. However, carbon monoxide poisoning can be diagnosed by the following symptoms:
- Loss of balance
- Vision problems
- Loss of memory
- Eventual loss of consciousness
If you suffer from an existing heart condition or breathing problem, you are more likely to be affected by carbon monoxide poisoning. Pregnant women and small children are also highly susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning. If the problem is not detected and resolved fast, it can lead to brain damage and even death. You are more vulnerable to carbon monoxide poisoning when you are asleep and may not notice the early symptoms until it is too late. It is recommended that you carry out regular checks for carbon monoxide poisoning in your home to avoid this silent killer.
Carbon monoxide is a gas that has no smell, taste or colour, these unique features make it easy for the gas to kill with little or no warning. Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when you breathe in this gas. Because it has no colour, taste or smell, you may not even be aware that you are breathing in carbon monoxide. The gas gets into your blood stream and causes damage by preventing your red blood cells from carrying oxygen. Oxygen is vital for life and must be carried to all parts of the body, especially the brain. When carbon monoxide poisoning occurs, the body is starved of oxygen and your cells and tissue die.
While small levels may not kill immediately, over a period of time, it can be fatal, causing serious bodily injuries such as damage to the brain and paralysis. For this reason, it is vital that every home have a carbon monoxide alarm.
Related blog Posts
As well as housing, we also provide heating installations to small businesses. As a ...